Friday, October 23, 2009

Product Review: The Fresh Market's Double-Cream White Chocolate Milk

Behold the beauty of The Fresh Market's Double-Cream White Chocolate Milk, one of the greatest ideas to ever hit the market, if you ask me.
This stuff is naughty good. It's decadence in a glass. You'll probably want to have a seat before you have your first taste of it, and then you have to face the ultimate challenge of not downing it all in one go (which, I can tell you from experience, makes you feel very bad). It's delicious almost beyond words: like melted ice cream without the gross factor in a subtle, lovely, rich white chocolate flavor. This stuff is genius, perfect, and altogether bad for you in all ways except that it nourishes spots in your soul that you just love to nourish. How naughty good is it? Well...
...that naughty good. Observe the high sugar content (as high as soft drinks). Mmm.... Observe also the high fat content (higher than half and half... that must be what they mean by "double cream"). Calories, high. Fiber, low. Cholesterol, not good. All this goes together to make: perfect, in small doses. On the other hand, it is relatively high in protein, Vitamin A, and calcium, although I feel a little bit guilty for wanting to say that this is possibly the "ideal source for those nutrients," mostly because of all of the not-good-for-you filling that bottle with beautiful goodness.

So, in taste and experience, this stuff gets an 11 out of 10 on my meaningless scale of quality, but in healthiness, it scores a bit lower at about a -2. Then again, you could always drink lots of water and work out hard and regularly, and then it wouldn't matter so much....

If you haven't had this stuff and have access to a The Fresh Market that happens to be carrying it (they only seem to have it sometimes, though their good ol' fashioned (whole) chocolate milk is rather beautiful too), then you have to try it.

For what it's worth, it makes just about the best white chocolate mochaccino that I've ever had, as long as you're making it with decent espresso from a good coffee source. So rich... so delicious... so romantic with my wife in the mornings and sometimes afternoons.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

They had a sample of it in my The Fresh Market and out of sheer bliss I think I rolled my eyes back into my head

Jim said...

I think about this every time I drink some of this stuff now... my eyes rolling back into my head. That's an apt description. Now I just need someone to have their knees buckle like mine did when I had some super-premium, ridiculously incredible, mind-bending ice cream in Wisconsin for the first time!

Mariposa said...

I bought some on Christmas Eve....oh my GOD....it took everything my mother and I had not to drink it all right there. We still have a few dregs left in the bottle b/c we simply won't drain it, even though Fresh Market is 15 minutes away.

Jim said...

Thanks for the comment, Mariposa! My brother and I had the same experience the other day. I bought two bottles, and between three of us (a friend as well as my brother and I), we put down one bottle in no time. The other was for my own personal enjoyment later. Hehe.

A few days later, we had a Christmas-ish party, and a bottle came out during the festivities. It went around and around the room, and guilty little sips (usually in twos or threes) drained it in no time.

I love this stuff.