Wednesday, October 21, 2009

A Chinese Invention Dish: Steak and Eggs with Homemade Pasta

I'm almost sorry for posting yet another Chinese dish, but like I was doing earlier with the bread making, I'm completely into making these dishes again. I've made JB's beef and potatoes a couple of times, in fact, in the past two weeks, and that says nothing of these noodle-based dishes that are quite filling and excitingly delicious, particularly now that I'm feeling more adventurous. This installment's adventure is based on a favorite breakfast of a Scottish friend of mine: steak and eggs, but I made it for dinner and following the rough idea of JB's fried dishes.
This recipe used the other half of the beef roast that I used to make this yumminess, which by paying attention to the dates, you'll realize implies that I made this dish about a week ago. It incorporated a lot of noodles (because the last dish I made used too few), a recipe for which can be found here, scaled up to about three cups of flour and a cup of water (and still 11 gallons of elbow grease). Here's what all went into it other than the noodles:

  • Approximately a pound of beef shoulder roast, in half-inch cubes (steak could be used instead);
  • 3-4 cloves of garlic, crushed (first) and finely chopped;
  • 1/2 an inch of fresh ginger, finely chopped;
  • 1/2 a sweet onion, chopped;
  • 6-8 mushrooms, halved and chopped;
  • 3 eggs, salted, peppered lightly, and beaten in a bowl;
  • a healthy dash of red wine vinegar;
  • 2 tablespoons of soy sauce;
  • 2-3 tablespoons of canola oil for cooking.
After getting everything prepared and a pot of salted water boiling for the pasta, I started cooking the eggs first. I simply poured them into the hot wok and scrambled them until they were just short of being "dry." Once that was done, I transferred the eggs to a plate to await the completion of the dish. The onions and mushrooms were next, which I added to a re-oiled, re-heated wok and, once salted lightly, let cook until they were soft. Actually, I let them cook, stirring only occasionally, until I had shaved all of the pasta into the boiling water. Once the pasta was shaved, i.e. when the veggies were done, I transferred them to the plate with the eggs to await the meat. A little more oil in the wok, which I gave a quick chance to reheat a little, preceded the meat, garlic, and ginger along with a little salt and pepper for the meat. I stirred this around until the meat was browned on all sides, and then I added the soy sauce and vinegar. While that stewed, I drained the pasta and then immediately added the eggs and vegetables mixture to the wok and stirred everything together. When mixed, I let it cook for about a minute before adding the pasta, mixing, adjusting the seasoning. That was it. Done. Pretty much perfect.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: