Friday, August 7, 2009

Super-Fiber Loaf: A Very High Fiber Sourdough Bread with Flax Seed and Psyllium Husk

Psyllium husk? That doesn't sound delicious....

Honestly, I can't say this is the best bread I've ever made. It's rather dense, though it's very soft and has a pleasant flavor. I knew it would be, so I used sourdough starter and yeast to try to leaven it, but even in the kneading stage, I knew it was going to bake into a brick of a loaf. At least it tastes good and has a nice mouth feel, even if every little slice of it weighs as much as three loaves of normal bread (slight exaggeration). You can see the hearty awesomeness of it directly in the only picture I took of it: the prebake loaf picture:
super high fiber sourdough bread loaf with flax seeds and psyllium huskIt looks essentially the same after baking except just a little darker. It's pretty good, though. Here's what all went into it:

  • 1 cup white-wheat flour, sifted;
  • 1/2 cup white unbleached flour, sifted;
  • about a cup of sourdough starter;
  • 1 packet of rapid-rise yeast, bloomed in 1/4 cup water with a teaspoon of evaporated cane juice;
  • 1 tablespoon evaporated cane juice (sugar);
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt;
  • three heaping tablespoons brown flax seeds ground into meal (in my cleaned coffee grinder);
  • three heaping tablespoons psyllium seed husk powder (fiber country);
  • one heaping tablespoon hulled millet ground into meal (in my grinder);
  • 1/4 cup Bob's Red Mill 10 Grain Hot Cereal ground into meal (in my grinder);
  • one heaping tablespoon of unflavored whey protein concentrate powder, sifted;
  • 1 teaspoon raw apple cider vinegar;
  • a bit more water to make it come together.
First, I ground up what had to be ground up very finely. To be sure I did it fully, I would grind it up, run it through my sifter, and then regrind anything that didn't go through. That took three repetitions to get everything to finally fall through the sifter, and then I started to put things together. I knew right away when I started feeling the dough as it came together that it was going to be dense bread when it finished, but hopefully I could knead it into a pleasant texture and provide a wholesome, nourishing flavor that spoke highly to the whole grains and seeds that I used. That part worked. Kneading it took a little longer than usual, probably 20-30 minutes and was a bit more effort than I had expected. The first rise took longer than expected, almost two hours before it doubled in bulk. The second rise was given just over ninety minutes, by which time it had grown considerably but not doubled, and I threw it into a 375 F oven for 30 minutes at that point, tired of waiting on it any longer. It grew essentially none in the oven, but the internal texture isn't at all grainy, which I kind of feared. It's smooth, almost like dry, stretchy, slightly chewy carrot cake, although it tastes very multigrain and wholesome. It's also very filling, and because of my sourdough starter, which is getting stronger, and the vinegar, it's mildly sour, moreso than most sourdough that I've had but not unpleasantly so (one of the children likes it, and the other doesn't so much).

Since it has a fair amount of fiber-donating ingredients in it, I expect that the fiber-per-slice level is probably in the 8-10g range, even though the slices are somewhat small. I also think that if done correctly, because of the sourness, this bread would make one heck of a good meaty sandwich. In fact, I think I might have just figured out what I'm having for dinner....

[Edit, two hours later: That sandwich was a good idea, the bread and meat both sliced thin. What meat? Leftover rotisserie pork loin, of course!]

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: