Monday, August 24, 2009

Smoked Paprika Home Fries

Sometimes I come home after training and scavenge whatever I can. Tonight I wanted some comfort food, and because of my mom, that means potatoes. No one else wanted anything, so this was super-quick and super-easy.
smoked paprika home friesI've mentioned before how much I like good-quality paprika, and so here you find me talking about it again. Basically, all I did was wash and cut up two Idaho-style potatoes (the kind we have, though I usually prefer Yukon gold for making home fries) right after I crushed a clove of garlic and chopped it up finely. I also cut up a little bit of onion, maybe a quarter of a small-to-medium one. Saving the garlic for a minute, that all plunged into a hot skillet that contained about a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and started to fry, a little salt and freshly ground black pepper landing on top of it immediately. After a couple of minutes, I tossed the potatoes in the pan and then let them fry for another minute or two before adding the garlic, half a tablespoon of unsalted butter, and a bit more seasoned salt. After a few more minutes of frying and a little more stirring/shaking the pan, I added about a half a teaspoon of the bittersweet smoked paprika and just a bit more salt (it's kind of surprising how much salt potatoes can take before they taste like you added any salt -- which makes for an interesting reversal: how much salt is on your potatoes (or French fries) that do taste (extra?) salty?). After a good stir to mix everything through and a couple of more minutes for the potatoes to finish (it's kind of surprising how long it takes to cook some potatoes, particularly when you want them quickly), I tasted them to make sure I didn't miss on the salt, turned off the heat, splashed them with a little red wine vinegar, tossed them, and put them on a plate. That's it.

Of course... I'm lame like this: I smothered them in ketchup right after I took the picture.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: