Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Pink Grapefruitade

Pink grapefruit-ade is one of my very favorite beverages, and I have it on good authority that it's even more refreshing than lemonade and delightful even for people that don't like grapefruit. That is, of course, because it's thinned down and includes sugar. Think about it: how many people like lemonade (lots)? How many people like lemon juice or lemons (not lots)? It works that way with grapefruit too. The recipe is ridiculously simple... so simple that you don't really need a recipe. It goes like this: juice a grapefruit (or use store-bought grapefruit juice, preferably freshly squeezed and unpasteurized like the Fresh Market sells), add some sugar, add some water. Technically speaking, both the water and the sugar are "to taste," but I try to aim for something comparable to what I would use for lemonade, if a bit heavy on the juice.

What you need to know is that a grapefruit holds about a cup to a cup and a half of juice. A lemon holds about a quarter of a cup, i.e. about five times less. Since I like more grapefruit juice, proportionally, in my grapefruitade, that means I usually use one grapefruit to make a quart to a quart and a half of grapefruitade depending on how much juice comes out of the grapefruit and how thin I want it (when I'm really thirsty, I want more water and less fruit and sugar). You also need to know that a grapefruit contains more sugar than a lemon -- it's more bitterness, not sourness, that make people not particularly like grapefruit so much, particularly with the pink or red ones. Thus, I only use about a tablespoon of sugar per grapefruit. Let's pretend you like it sweeter. I would say: use more sugar. Let's pretend you don't want it so syrupy. I would say: use less sugar. Also, don't use crap sugar. Get some evaporated cane juice (or maple syrup) and do it right. It comes out a lovely orange-pink color that just begs to be enjoyed, with our without a little mint (mint is nice in grapefruitade, but not all the time). See:
a quart of pink grapefruitadeFor added fun and excitement, I sometimes (frequently) add the juice of other citrus, particularly lime when I have it. I find they play well together. Adding lemon juice gives it more tartness (but not bitterness), and adding orange juice gives it more sweetness and a rounder flavor. Don't be limited! You can make orangeade, lemonade, tangerineade, limeade, any combination of those -ade, and even "Five-Alive-ade," using your own recipe instead of store-bought stuff. Using a juicer, you can even make exotic things like kumquatade (which needs a lot of sugar and is best pretty thin unless some other juices come in to soften it up a bit).

If some of these other recipes confer superpowers onto me, this one replenishes them when I've done something like mow the lawn.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: