Thursday, August 27, 2009

Meyer Lemonade

I wish I had taken a picture, but I didn't. In my bottle today, as I went to work, I made up a quart of Meyer lemonade, which is a nice thing. The Meyer lemons are usually only available in the dead of winter, but since it's the dead of winter in New Zealand, I found some at the store the other day that were so lovely that I had to pay the exorbitant price for them. I won in the end, though, because the cashier just rang them up as lemons, which I didn't notice until I got home. Anyway, they make a beautiful, different kind of lemonade that is all together refreshing and delicious. These were so vivid that they were almost orange. In fact, I was initially attracted to them in the store without realizing they were Meyer lemons because I saw, maybe for the first time in my life, "orange lemons." They weren't quite orange, but they were far more orangish in color than any of the other lemons we have around here.

My basic lemonade recipe runs about like this, although it can, of course, be adjusted to your tastes (I prefer mine slightly sour). I usually use a tablespoon of sugar per lemon's worth of juice and about two and a half or three cups of water. That's the whole recipe. If you want to make a pitcher, scale up (so use about three lemons and three tablespoons of sugar to fill a two-quart pitcher or six lemons and six tablespoons of sugar to fill a gallon).

A nice little thing to do is also to slice up (cross-sectionally) another quarter or half a lemon into almost paper-thin slices and let them float in your pitcher. Not only do they look nice, but they slowly impart their oils into the drink.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: