Wednesday, July 22, 2009

JB-Inspired Pork and Potato Stew

I found a half a pork roast in my freezer yesterday. I had forgotten about it apparently, and in finding it, I was almost as excited as if I had found a $10 bill in my pocket when I put on my pants. Giddy-up! It immediately gave me an idea: modify JB's Beef and Potato Stew around the pork roast, and it was brilliant. The recipe is nearly identical, mutatis mutandis, although I tossed in a little this-and-that to play to the pork:

  • Roughly one and a half pounds of pork loin, chopped into bite-sized cubes (trimmed of fat? Yeah right. I'm with Emeril: pork fat rules!);
  • Six medium-sized Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and chopped into bite-sized cubes;
  • Two stalks of celery, washed and sliced on a bias;
  • Half a head of napa cabbage, roughly chopped;
  • Two medium cloves of garlic, crushed and finely chopped;
  • An inch and a half of ginger sliced thin into rectangular slices;
  • A quarter of a sweet onion (I'm out of spring onions), chopped;
  • Eight or ten white mushrooms, cleaned and quartered;
  • 2-3 tablespoons peanut or canola oil;
  • 1-2 tablespoons soy sauce;
  • salt to taste.
The process is almost identical to that for JB's beef and potato stew also. Cut up everything but the potatoes and cabbage, heat the wok over high heat, sear the meat, add the veggies and some salt with some of the soy sauce, cover and stew over medium-high heat while the potatoes are peeled and chopped. Once they're prepared, chop the cabbage up and add it with the potatoes and a little salt, stirring well. Cover the wok again, and once it gets properly stewing (steam coming out from around the edges, stir again and cover, dropping the temperature to medium. Continue to cook it this way, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are cooked through (ten or fifteen minutes). Adjust the seasoning in terms of salt and soy sauce and enjoy! For extra authenticity, serve it Chinese-family-style (see the bottom of this post).

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

Teri Jarvis said...

I LOVE this site...come it coming!